Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Banana truck, part 2

So I'm re-posting my banana truck picture. Why? Because I fell victim to framing things within my own culture and context.

So I was visiting with my friends in the hospital's biomedical engineering workshop, asking questions about political, cultural, and agricultural topics.

One question I asked was how long before the green bananas ripen. Well, I learned there are different types of bananas and some are simply green. I showed them the picture on my iPhone. At one glance they said those were green bananas from Uganda. They are to be cooked. You can peel them and then boil or stew, or you can roast and then peel. My informal preference poll results were: two preferred boiled, two stewed, and one roasted.

Some get trucked from Uganda, across Kenya to Mombasa, the port, and are exported to Saudi Arabia and others.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment